Friday, October 19, 2012

Effective Drawing (3) - lines & shades

quote of the day's lesson  -
"instead of trying to duplicate the drawing styles of others, learn how to appreciate the one that you are most comfortable with - which is the one that you always use"

hit me in the heart cos based on my previous drawing (shading), i realised that my strokes were all over the place and very coarse... 
very messy hor??? 

so when i saw my coursemate's artwork
i was so envy....how come theirs like so systematic, so orderly one... 

so when i heard the trainers asking us to embrace our own style, i was like wooooooooo.....okaaaayyyy.... ;)...happiness

this 3rd lesson is a review of the strategies learned in the previous 2 lessons and after a recap, we were told to do another self portrait based on the photo that was taken during the 1st lesson... 

preparing to start


but after half an hour
 wahahaha..... reason - I cant multi-tasked cos was too busy chatting with my coursemates.... I cant work under stress cos too low confidence to even try to draw in the presence of the trainers and other coursemates..... 

conclusion: i m a 孤僻 artist.... i need to work alone.... without human distraction.... 

din really have the mood to do this piece of homework cos i had completed a smaller version just the night before the lesson...so procrastinated until the last day of PSLE marking.... i know i will have plenty of "lobo" time as marking is usually completed by 9am but due to the  many rounds of checks, samplings and scanning of the final results into the system, we can only be dismissed after 1pm

brought along my sketchbook and drawing tools to school but "聪明"的我 forgot to bring the picture.... =S.... which turned out to be a blessing.... wahahaha....

i went facebook and printed out my favourite picture instead...

and i would say, drawing a prettier me makes a whole lot of difference to my drawing..... 

A happy artist is a better artist... (according to me).. ;P
first quarter that i drew.... 


half


3/4 done.... 


before showcasing the completed artwork... let play mix and match for few more rounds  





and tatatata
though still not perfect but at least not a monster anymore.... wahahaha


pix on the left, drawing on the right

something somewhere is still not right... think is my right eyebrow, my right cheek shading that affects how my nose will look like and definitely my lips.... 

we will be given another hour to complete our artwork later in class... gonna ask trainer how to touch-up, if possible give it some 'photoshop'.... wahahaha.... 

it's amazing how a darker or softer line/shade can make a very vast difference to how the final artwork will look like... 

drawing is really a test for patience and perseverance... shade, erase, shade again.... and this cycle can repeat and repeat and repeat and it still dosen look like how it should look like... wahaha

but after 6 practices in the last 3 weeks... my eyes are better at picking out lines and shapes though i know there are still plenty of rooms for improvement.... i'm amazed at how i can control what i want to see just by consciously switching from my left mode to my right mode.... 

i will work harder at training my right brain to bring out the artist in me.... not only because i need it so that i can have an easier work life balance in the future but this career shift somehow created a goal for me.... 

left brain had already helped me to obtain my business degree from ntu and post grad diploma from nie now it's the right brain's turn... 

i feel like i m back in sec sch doing my O level because i need to get into the diploma course next year and which after that i can do my degree in art education... 

it's a battle of the left and right brain with the latter a late bloomer.... let's see which side of the brain gets to be more developed 10 years down the road.... it's a long and tedious journey but i know things will just work out for me.... wahahaha.... =D

jiayou jiayou jiayou!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: